Monday, February 28, 2011

One MONTH

Time is flying here in France, and it's hard to believe that I've already been here in Menetou-Salon for a month. I've started getting into the swing of things and the culture shock is starting to wear off. I had the last week off for vacances de février and I have this week off as well, so I haven't been in school for a while, but even there I'm beginning to get used to the way things are done. Most of my teachers are very kind and understanding, although my Spanish teacher hasn't said one word to me since my first day in her class (might drop that one, since I don't speak any Spanish at all). My littérature teacher is also my théâtre teacher, and we've been talking about absurdism, which is fun and very interesting. I also might have a part in our play (Doll's House by Ibsen) if I can get my accent together. Even if my new French friends have told me that my accent is très mignon, I would like to sound a little more French. I have been enjoying my classes, and especially liked going to the cinéma with my history class, and finding out that we have a darkroom in art class. :)



The town of Menetou-Salon is pretty and quaint and my host parents are very involved around town, so I've met a lot of the people here and gone to quite a few events. The towns here are pretty close together, so I've also been to events in nearby towns including a "bal" (traditional French dance) and a concert by Eric Lareine et leurs enfants, which was less traditional.Menetou-Salon is very close to Bourges, where my friend Gabi lives, and we've been able to meet up a few times (having Wednesday afternoons off is one of my favorite parts of the French school system). One of the times we saw each other was at the AFS weekend in Loches, near Tours. We took the train with Laura, an exchange student from Colombia, and met up with Rosa from Iceland and Irinja from Finland on the way. We all baked desserts to share in the evening, and I made snickerdoodles (or gateaux de Anna, as they've been come to be known in my house. Snickerdoodles are always a success--I've been asked to make them a few times, now.)

As I said, I'm on vacation at the moment, and spent last week with some cousins in Sceaux, France, convieniently located right next to...

Paris!! I was glad to be with people who knew the area, and the trip was a nice mix between the normal touristy stuff and visits to favorite restaurants and neighborhoods of the family. There was a lot of walking, a lot of food, and a lot of chocolate, so all in all, it was a success. I got back Friday and have spent the weekend hanging out with my host sisters and sleeping in--it's tiring being an exchange student!!

Check back soon for updates (I don't know exactly how soon, as you can see, I've been pretty busy). I miss the United States, but I've been having a blast here in France. :)

1 comment: